Staff Spotlight: Emily, Office Manager
by Ana Homayoun on
Category: Inspirational Q & A
Emily joined the Green Ivy staff as our office manager in the fall of 2017. She is a graduate of the University of Minnesota, and has worked in the educational sector in various project and event management roles for many years. In her spare time, she enjoys being outdoors and spending time with her husband and son.
1. What advice would you give to a younger version of yourself? Don’t take things so seriously! Also, a good friend of mine always says “take things in moderation, even moderation” and I feel like I am constantly reminding myself of this phrase, even now. I wish would have taken this more seriously years ago.
2. What’s one goal you want to accomplish for yourself this coming year? To live a more balanced and healthy lifestyle overall. I live a pretty active lifestyle already, but I want to do things more consistently, like getting into practicing yoga again, cooking more for my family, and overall, just getting more sleep.
3. What’s the best compliment you’ve ever received? That I sound and act just like my mom. I hear it all the time from my extended family and friends who know her. It always warms my heart, both because I’m so close with my mom and she is such a wonderful role model in my life.
4. You grew up in the Midwest. What is the biggest difference between living there and living in Northern California? By far the weather! I love the warmth and sunshine here in California, but I have to admit, I do miss the drastic change of seasons that I used to get in the Midwest—it really separates the year up in my mind. But then I’m reminded how great it is to have 60-70 degree weather for most of the year, and I quickly snap out of missing distinct seasons.
5. What do you love most about your work at Green Ivy? I love hearing comments from parents that their son/daughter is feeling more confident and organized after meeting with their tutor(s) on a weekly basis. It’s rewarding to know that the tutor I’ve helped match them up with is working out so well.
Best invention of all time: Personal computer
Favorite breakfast item: Avocado Toast
Best book you read in 2017: Artemis
What role would you play in a rock band (lead singer, back up vocals, drummer, guitarist): Guitarist
Three words your friends would use to describe you: friendly, outgoing, kind